Beauty is in the eye of the beholder – Красота субъективна
Don’t judge a book by its cover – Не суди книгу по обложке
Appearances can be deceiving – Внешность может быть обманчива
All that glitters is not gold – Не всё то золото, что блестит
Handsome is as handsome does – Красота человека – в поступках
The leopard cannot change his spots – Люди не меняются; горбатого могила исправит
- to be dressed to kill – стиль одетый, разодетый в пух и прах (Kelly was dressed to kill at the office party. We couldn’t take our eyes off her!)
- to look sharp – быть на высоте
- not a hair out of place – волосок к волосу; выглядеть элегантно, прекрасно (Sophia is always looking smart and groomed – not a hair out of place!) (There’s never a hair out of place)
- all skin and bone – кожа да кости (I can’t believe how much weight she’s lost… She’s all skin and bone!)
- five o’clock shadow – легкая небритость (He looked tired and had a five o’clock shadow.)
- all dressed up and nowhere to go – зря одевалась (-лся), готовилась (-лся) (When my presentation was cancelled, I felt all dressed up with nowhere to go)
- a trendsetter = a fashion icon
- a slave to fashion
- to go out of fashion
- she’s always well-turned-out
- she bears a striking resemblance to someone on TV
- she wears clothes that are right for her age and manages to look glamorous without looking like she’s too done up …
- she has a great sense of style
- She doesn’t seem too concerned about keeping up with the latest fashion
- to have an eye for what looks good
Describing age -
- Everyone goes through a lot of diapers when they are a baby.
- Toddlers take their first steps around the age of two.
- Having a child is one of the great joys in life.
- Many teenagers have to deal with a lot of stress because of testing.
- Most people have settled down by their forties.
- He looks like he’s in his early/late/mid twenties.
- A young man was very kind and gave me directions.
- We need to develop some more sports programs for the youth.
- A middle-aged man asked me for directions.
- Take time to listen to an elderly woman. She’ll teach you a lot.
- She’s about thirty years old.
- She told me that she’s thirty something.
- She has a very youthful appearance.
- She’s growing old gracefully
- She’s looking young for her age.
Describing the appearance -
Fashion and clothes -
Мода и одежда
- Students are often dressed in a plain white button-up shirt and a pair of navy slacks, and the shirt has to be tucked in.
- You’re more likely to find me in casual outfits: a well-worn pair of jeans, a T-shirt and some sneakers.
- to know how to mix and match different items of clothing that go well together